Danny Carey

Bubnjarske veličine, ljudi koji inspirišu i nadahnjuju. Preporuke, komentari, solo klipovi...

Moderator: Supermoderatori

Papa Makarijo
Bubnjar Početnik
Bubnjar Početnik

Danny Carey

Post by Papa Makarijo » January 17th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Ne mogu da verujem da njega niko nije pomenuo u ovoj grupi virtuoza...
Jedan od mojih omiljenih bubnjara...
Sta vi mislite?m?

Biography
Carey's first encounter with the drums began at the age of ten by joining the school band and taking private lessons on the snare drum. Two years later, Carey began to practice on a drum set and began working with a private teacher. In his senior year of high school in Paola, Kansas, Carey joined the high school jazz band and began to study under a new teacher specifically for jazz drumming training. As Carey progressed through high school and later college at the University of Missouri–Kansas City, he began expanding his studies in percussion with theory into the principles of geometry, science, and metaphysics as well as delving into Sacred Geometry and certain hidden aspects of life and the occult (hidden). Carey also played jazz while attending college and got to experience the jazz scene in Kansas City.

A major commitment to life as an artist convinced Carey to leave Kansas and travel to Los Angeles, California where he was able to perform as a studio drummer with Carole King and perform live sets with Pigmy Love Circus. He also played in Green Jellÿ as Danny Longlegs and recorded the album Cereal Killer. He would later find his way to Tool after coming to know singer Maynard James Keenan and guitarist Adam Jones and practicing with them in place of drummers the two had requested but had never shown up. Besides Tool, Carey also finds time for other projects new and old such as Pigmy Love Circus, VOLTO!, and ZAUM.

[edit] Religion and the occult
Although Carey has not officially aligned himself with any particular school of philosophy or religion, he has projected a deep interest in and understanding for the magical arts and sciences, among them various occult teachings. Enochian symbols, geometric designs, and special symbolic percussive devices are featured on and in his drum kit.

[edit] Geometrical Designs
Carey has laid claim to various drumming techniques that use sacred geometrical figures such as the unicursal hexagram. The final product is very recognizable, fluent drumming, although to him it is much more: the official Tool website claims that Danny uses drumming as a ritual similar to occult rituals, with purposes varying from spiritual exploration to "a gateway [which] summoned a demon he has contained…that has been delivering short parables similar to passages within The Book of Lies."[1] Another geometrical reference from the website was the inclusion of Nothing in This Book is True… by Bob Frissell on the band's recommended reading list, a book that deals with sacred geometry and the evolution of human consciousness.[1]

[edit] Side projects and other musical endeavours
In his time away from Tool, Carey has contributed (and still regularly does) to a vast number of projects:

Fusion band VOLTO!, which regularly plays shows in the Los Angeles area, consisting of both covers and original material
Pigmy Love Circus, which has recorded several albums
electronica-oriented project ZAUM
Green Jellÿ
Pigface
drums on "Use Less" from the album The Greater Wrong of the Right by Skinny Puppy
contributed to Adrian Belew's Side One and Side Three projects with bassist Les Claypool
drums on certain tracks of the Carole King album Colour of Your Dreams (as a session drummer) with Velvet Revolver guitarist Slash playing on select tracks
drums on the track Somewhere from the Collide album Some Kind of Strange
made an appearance on the 1997 album Free Mars by former Tool bassist Paul D'Amour's band Lusk

[edit] Equipment
Carey plays a Designer kit from SONOR (beech shells with inner and outer makassar ebony veneers - 1" thick on 8" tom and progressively thinner as the drums get larger - apart from the bass drums, which are made out of rosewood and about 3/8" thick), which he designed himself and used on Tool's recent 10,000 Days album and tours. Carey also uses a kit composed of custom cast bronze shells (3/16" thick and same dimensions as the SONOR, apart from the fact that both bass drums are 22"x18") made from recycled Paiste cymbals, manufactured by master drum tech and drum maker Jeff Ocheltree (mostly on US tours as it is too heavy to readily transport elsewhere; he has also used it on "Jambi" from 10,000 Days). The set-up for both kits is as follows:

Danny Carey's set-up during Tool's 2007 US Tour.
[edit] Current Tour Kit (2006-2007):
Sonor Custom Drums & Paiste Cymbals:
Drums – Custom
14x8" Bronze Snare (by Jeff Ocheltree, made out of recycled Paiste Cymbals)
8x8" Rack Tom
10x10" Rack Tom
14x16" Floor Tom
16x18" Floor Tom
22x18" Bass Drum
24x18" Bass Drum
Cymbals – Paiste
13" Signature Sound Edge Hi-Hat
21" Signature Dry Heavy Ride
18" Signature Full Crash
19" Signature Power Crash
20" Signature Thin China
20" Signature Power Crash
20" 2002 Novo China
11/18" Noise Works Dark Buzz China
8" New Signature Dark Energy Splash Mark I
10" New Signature Dark Energy Splash Mark I
7.5" 2002 Cup Chime
8" 2002 Cup Chime
6" 2002 Accent Cymbal
8" Signature Bell
5" 2002 Cup Chime
40" Symphonic Gong
Drum Heads (Evans):

Snare: Power Center on batter side, Evans Hazy 300 on snare side.
Toms: G2 clear on batter side, G1 clear on resonant side.
Bass: EQ3 clear on batter side, Retro Screen Mesh on resonant side.
The hardware is mainly composed of Sonor stands, Pearl Eliminator Drum pedals, a Roc-n-Soc Throne and a Pearl RH-2000 remote hi-hat stand.

Carey uses his own signature model of drumstick made by Vic Firth[2]. He previously had endorsed a signature model with Trueline Drumsticks (now Trueline's Tribal Assault model [3]).

He uses seven electronic drum pads around his kit, co-designed by him and Vince DeFranco. These pads are high resolution position and velocity sensing drums called Synesthesia Mandala Drums, and have replaced the various Simmons SDX pads formerly in his setup. He uses a program called Battery, from Native Instruments, on an Apple Mac G5 to manage the samples. Additionally, he uses a Korg Wave Drum, a Roland Handsonic and a few electronic pedals.

Carey's "Drumtree" kit, cost about $70,000 to make and the cast bronze bass drum weighted close to 700 pounds after pulling it out of the mold, and after lathing it was lowered to about 100 pounds.[citation needed]

[edit] Drumming techniques
Carey's popularity among drummers and non-drummers stems from the diversity of his sound and dynamics, his technical ability, frequent use of odd time signatures, polyrhythms and polymeters. He has stated in interviews that he effectively treats his feet as he does his hands: he practices rudiments (used for sticking techniques) and even snare drum solos with his feet to improve his double bass drumming, hi-hat control and foot independence.

In search of new techniques, Carey has studied tabla with Aloke Dutta, who can be heard playing on the live version of the song Pushit (from Salival). This is especially apparent on tracks such as "Disposition" (Lateralus) or "Intension" (10,000 Days), for which Carey has recorded the tabla parts himself in studio. The tabla (and other percussive instruments) used in Tool's music are replicated live using the Mandala pads (in fact the pads are also used when recording in the studio, a notable example being the tabla solo of "Right in Two" from 10,000 Days).

He has also stated that when he is playing to an odd time signature, he tries to drum to the "feel" of the song and establish general "inner pulse" for the given time signature instead of fully counting it out.

[edit] Personal
Carey is 6'5" (1.96m) tall.
Carey is a fan of the University of Kansas Jayhawks. He occasionally wears a Kansas basketball jersey at Tool concerts, with the number 22 and name "Carey" on the back. The jersey's name and number are that of Jeff Carey, who played at Kansas from 1999-2002. The two are not related to each other, but Jeff Carey's roommate and fellow teamate of the Jayhawks Eric Chenowith was a fan and told Jeff about the idea. Danny was happy to wear the jersey to show his Jayhawk support.
Carey is also a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs. This is often referenced on the bands' website at least twice a year when the Chiefs would play their division rivals, the Oakland Raiders, and a friendly rift between Carey and the site's webmaster, Blair (a Raiders fan), would ensue.
Carey has been known to play in the NBA entertainment league, at different times his team has included actors such as Ray Liotta and Michael Rapaport, who have played games against sides featuring rap icons Ice Cube and Snoop Dogg along with Shaq and Magic Johnson.
Loshme
Virtuoz!
Virtuoz!
Moj Bubanj: tama, meazzi, zildjian, istanbul, bosphorus
Inspiracija: vinnie colaiuta, gavin harrison

Re: Danny Carey

Post by Loshme » January 17th, 2008, 4:52 pm

Danny Carey je jedan od respektivnijih bubnjara danas.Bas sam gledao neki intervju sa nekim likom i svirao je nesto od tool-a... Do jaja jes to on koristi 24'' i 22 bas.
MikePortnoy034
Voljan da vežba
Voljan da vežba
Moj Bubanj: TAMA Rockstar
Moji bendovi: Equinox
Inspiracija: Mike Portnoy, Danny Carrey, Neil Peart...

Post by MikePortnoy034 » January 17th, 2008, 5:10 pm

Ja sam ga pominjao par puta ali nisam otvorio temu! Meni je Danny jednostavno nepresusan izvor inspiracije i jedan neverovatno inovativan bubnjar koji nevidjeno pametno koristi svoju tehniku tako da ne preteruje i ne smori slusaoce. Imao sam tu cast da ga gledam uzivo prosle godine u Beogradu. Pored Portnoy-a i Neil-a Peart-a zadnji clan svetog trojstva kako ja zovem meni trojicu omiljenih bubnjara. :D
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Equinox/69140483086
Loshme
Virtuoz!
Virtuoz!

Post by Loshme » January 18th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Da nisam 'vako mali jab otiso na koncert !! Cuo sam da je bilo bas do jaja ??!! Portnoy i Danny su mi najveci uzori a kada nabavim duplu a to je uskoro pocinje da se svira Dream i Tool
On je meni zanimljiv zbog onon nekog rituala sa macem kada je sipjunirao caleta... :blink: :blink:
pedja_gumeni
Virtuoz!
Virtuoz!
Moj Bubanj: Sonor, Mapex, Pearl, Zildjian, Paiste, Gibraltar
Moji bendovi: Me Gusto Bend, Ground Zero
Inspiracija: Kai Hahto

Post by pedja_gumeni » January 18th, 2008, 3:31 pm

za duplu pedalu slushaj Fear factory i neki brutal death metal bend, za manipulaciju i brzinu, onda mozesh ostalo... :D :D :D

shala...
WWW.MEGUSTOBEND.COM
MikePortnoy034
Voljan da vežba
Voljan da vežba
Moj Bubanj: TAMA Rockstar
Moji bendovi: Equinox
Inspiracija: Mike Portnoy, Danny Carrey, Neil Peart...

Post by MikePortnoy034 » January 18th, 2008, 9:39 pm

Jes bre evo ti Joey Jordison, Jason Bittner, Raymond Hererra, Vinnie Paul... a Danny-ja slusaj zbog inspiracije kako sa malim forama moze da se kaze MNOGO!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Equinox/69140483086
Loshme
Virtuoz!
Virtuoz!

Post by Loshme » January 19th, 2008, 1:15 am

Offtopic al ajd: Kad treba da krenemo neku pesmu da sviramo ja uvek pre pesme odsviram onaj dominate na cinelama na pocetku !!!

Ma Lateralus mi je za duplu do jaja posot nema duple non-stop nego ima na pojedinim deonicama koje su do jaja..
evo klip:(drobac pls ostavida klip bude ovde jer se pogub onda gde sam stavio klip) :zid:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVbFrl9wLBA[/youtube]
Od 2:13
Drobac
Supermoderator
Supermoderator
Moj Bubanj: Sonor drums, Demon Drive pedals
Moji bendovi: Avet
Inspiracija: George Kollias

Post by Drobac » January 19th, 2008, 2:00 pm

Taj klip na ovoj temi i treba da bude, posto je vezan za temu.
Kad postujes You Tube klip, imas iznad dugme "youtube". Koristis ga isto kao i kad saljes url.

Jel znas koji je to bubanj i od cega je napravljen?

Ovo je inace Danny-jev Eliminator.
Mi smo stari spid metalci, do kraja ostajemo dosledni svome stilu, nemojte da nam puštate ništa, ako nije tandara, tandara, tupa, tupa, seremo vam se u muziku.
janko_666
Dobošar
Dobošar

Post by janko_666 » January 19th, 2008, 6:20 pm

Ja mislim da mu se slomila pedala. :) Dobar je bubnjar.
I have absolutely no life
salence7
Dobošar
Dobošar

Post by salence7 » January 20th, 2008, 1:54 am

Oooooooooooo...!
Prica se o Danny-u, super!!!
...a sta tu ima da se priča?! :blink:

COVEK NIJE SA OVE PLANETE!
...ko je vas poznavao ni pakao mu nece tesko pasti!
Drobac
Supermoderator
Supermoderator

Post by Drobac » January 20th, 2008, 1:50 pm

janko_666 wrote:Ja mislim da mu se slomila pedala.
Malo. :D
Mi smo stari spid metalci, do kraja ostajemo dosledni svome stilu, nemojte da nam puštate ništa, ako nije tandara, tandara, tupa, tupa, seremo vam se u muziku.
Ognjen
Virtuoz!
Virtuoz!

Post by Ognjen » January 26th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Drobac wrote:Jel znas koji je to bubanj i od cega je napravljen?
Iz prve poruke sa teme:
Carey also uses a kit composed of custom cast bronze shells (3/16" thick and same dimensions as the SONOR, apart from the fact that both bass drums are 22"x18") made from recycled Paiste cymbals, manufactured by master drum tech and drum maker Jeff Ocheltree (mostly on US tours as it is too heavy to readily transport elsewhere; he has also used it on "Jambi" from 10,000 Days).
Loshme
Virtuoz!
Virtuoz!

Post by Loshme » January 26th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Sve ti jerecheno, a ja kasno video pitanje... :zid:
Drobac
Supermoderator
Supermoderator

Post by Drobac » January 26th, 2008, 10:39 pm

Ma znam od cega je bubanj (mada nisam procitao to u prvom postu), nego me zanimalo jel ostali znaju.
Loshme
Virtuoz!
Virtuoz!

Post by Loshme » January 27th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Drobac wrote:Taj klip na ovoj temi i treba da bude, posto je vezan za temu.
Kad postujes You Tube klip, imas iznad dugme "youtube". Koristis ga isto kao i kad saljes url.

Jel znas koji je to bubanj i od cega je napravljen?

Ovo je inace Danny-jev Eliminator.

Drobac je postovao ovu sliku kako bi se hvalio da je Iron Cobra bolja... lol Salim se ;D